We are a team of skilled and empathetic lawyers who have a wide panel of barristers who may also offer their services free of charge. We provide advice and assistance, subject to our Means and Merits Test.
We appreciate that many people who need our legal assistance often have other pressing non-legal needs. Many are managing other complicated issues in their lives. Because we are fully owned by The Salvation Army we often connect clients with other Army pastoral and social services such as addiction recovery, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander programs, youth support programs, accommodation and homelessness services, employment plus and Moneycare.
We can provide you with free legal services in the following areas:
- Police matters
- Family & children’s law
- Migration & refugee law
- Human rights & public interest law
- Credit & debt
- Housing law
- Social security law
We are unable to assist in the following areas, but can refer you to another appropriate service for assistance:
- Wills and estates. We provide wills and estates services on a paid basis through our commercial practice
- Workers compensation
- Family law property disputes
- Property disputes, including issues regarding conveyancing and strata matters
- Student & business visas
- Civil matters involving those seeking damages, compensation or some form of payment from another party
Free legal service
If you require free legal advice or assistance, speak to a lawyer at one of our Advice Bureaus located in New South Wales and Queensland.
Click for Advice Bureaus
People in Queensland who are seeking asylum can also access free legal services through our Asylum Seeker Clinic.